New York is the center of the free world. If we get a chance to visit the Big Apple, without a doubt, we do not want to miss the best observatory in the world – the Edge. It is a spectacular outdoor sky observation deck located at 30 Hudson Yard, New York. The Edge is the highest outdoor sky deck in the Western Hemisphere. The sky observation deck is as if hanging halfway to the sky, and it gives the visitors a unique amazing feeling to float in the air with a remarkable 360-degree view on the Big Apple, which we cannot find from anywhere else in the world.
The Highlights for the Edge
• The sky observation deck is 1,130 ft. tall from the ground level, and it is 80 feet taller than the outdoor observation deck at the Empire State Building. It offers incomparable sweeping views on Manhattan, Hudson River, New Jersey, and surrounding boroughs among the clouds when it is drizzly.
• The observatory provides its visitors with a unique glass floor. It stretches out about 80 ft. from one side of the skyscraper and is 1,130 ft. over the ground level. The glass floor lets its visitors look at the city down 100 stories below the feet and experience the incredible thrill of having the whole world under our feet.
• The sky observation deck is also built with angled glass walls, and it could let its fearless visitors lean out to watch the Big Apple down below the deck.
• The observatory features a unique eastern point; it allows one person to stand there surrounded by glass and sky and takes the incredible photos that have the most crowded city on the planet but have no strangers in the background.
• The sky observation deck also features a great vantage point on its western side of Manhattan, and it provides its visitors the view of the entire skyline from the beautiful Central Park to the Statue of Liberty as well as beyond.
• The observatory has the skyline steps, and from where it provides its visitors to view the Big Apple over the top of its glass panels.
• The sky observation deck also gives a Champagne Bar, and it lets its visitors sip Champagne when floating among the clouds.
The Tips for Visiting the Edge
• Its entrance is located on the fourth floor, 30 Hudson Yard, New York.
• We could buy tickets online. For General Admission Tickets, we could pick the date and time for entry to visit the observatory and come at any time in the period shown on the tickets. For Flex Pass Tickets, we could pick the date for our entry to visit the deck and come at any time during the operation hours on that day, which ends by 11 P.M.
• All the tickets provide access to the 360° views on the Big Apple from the indoor deck located on the 100th floor, and access to the outdoor observatory, including accesses to the Glass Floor, Angled Glass Walls, Eastern Point as well as Skyline Steps, and give the digital souvenir photos. All tickets are final with no refund and exchange.
• The observatory is open every day of the year. However, we should consider the weather condition when booking the tickets because it affects our views and all tickets sold are final with no refund and exchange.
• No limit is set for how long to stay in the deck. Sunset time visiting is quite popular, and it recommends to book the tickets one hour at least before the sunset.
• All visitors must pass the security check. Although bottled water is permitted, any outdoor food and drink are not allowed. Large bags and luggage are not allowed, and no storage is available.
• Photography is allowed only for private use, and professional photographic equipment, video cameras, recording devices, tripods, lights, and others are not allowed.
• The observatory is accessible for people with disabilities, and no bike, skateboard, or scooter is permitted.
Visiting the Edge with children
• It is considered proper for children of all ages.
• Strollers are permitted.
• Kids at and under age 5 are free when accompanied by an adult with a ticket.
• Kids less than age 12 must be accompanied by an adult during the visit.